- Don’t pay for haircuts like… Ever. I hardly remember the last time I paid for my hair cut or color. I’ve only paid for color once in my life since going short, which was back in 2011. That was my last fully paid haircut, too. In 2012, I tipped a guy to do my hair a couple times. So yeah, isn’t it 2014 now?
- Get paid to not cut your hair. Don’t go out and pay for a haircut! If you cut your hair, there’s less for clients to work with and they may not hire you. Basically, growing your hair out is a future gig investment. Oooh yeah.
- Try a plethora of new hair colors! Since becoming a short haired model, I’ve experimented with many different color variations, and got paid to do so!
- Book awesome gigs. Hair pays and it pays well! My first hair job in New York was a huge national hair campaign for Joico 2013. Want to make a super easy $600 bucks (or more)? Wait for a hair job to come around.
- Hairdressers are the best clients! No joke. Now that I think of it, the hair industry is the best part of the fashion industry. All the top hairstylists are best friends and they are the friendliest people on the planet. They will love you to death. I love them!
- Androgyny. Look like a dude and be cool with it. I’ve been called sir so many times… you have no idea.
- Be rocker and edgy. Short hair is just photographs so well. And it fits with so many different types of personalities.
- And you can still be cute and girly on top of it all! Always a plus.
Unlimited cool cuts and style options. So versatile.
- Everyone else loves your hair short. (As long as you can effectively pull it off. If you’re a good model, you should). It’s so… Rebel? Wait, how is short hair rebel these days? Beats me…. Some people are still old fashioned.
It grows fast! Optimize your fun hair-gig bookings. They can just keep cutting it.
- Healthier hair. The ends are newer than long haired girls’ ends.
- It’s hard to grow out. Especially when you’re booking hair jobs. They keep cutting it! But it pays so well….
- It’s a bit more difficult to do the more “bombshell look.” It can be done though. With the right person and style.
- Commercial work may be more difficult. Hard for me to say personally because I’m edgy in general. Commercial cant take me and my short hair.
- Hair jobs pay well… But they’re less frequent than well paid, consistent commercial work.
- A cool cut/style can start to look a little shaggy for a while after before it fills out.
- If you’re getting you hair colored, note that the color fades relatively quickly. Sad day 🙁
- Last con: There aren’t enough cons to demonstrate that you shouldn’t rock short hair. Umm… What’s wrong with short hair? Nothing. Because short hair rocks! Models with short hair are automatically awesome.
Questions? No? That is all.
Briauna Mariah (: